I've used this recipe on New Years Day for the last few years. It is quick, easy, and with cornbread, a wonderful comfort meal. I use a 16 oz. package of prepared mixed "Southern Green" and chop my own fresh onion and peppers.
Collard 'n' Black-eyed Pea Stew
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped collard greens
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen diced onion, red and green bell peppers, and celery
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- Sauté ham in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add broth and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Stir in black-eyed peas, and cook 10 more minutes
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used McKenzie's Seasoning Blend for frozen diced onion, red and green bell peppers, and celery. You may substitute 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped red bell pepper, 1 chopped green bell pepper, and 1 chopped celery rib.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews