If you're a fan of collard greens, you'll love this easy recipe. And it's easily adaptable to the crockpot.
Collard Greens with Lima Beans and Smoked Turkey
This one-pot meal can be made up to three days ahead and refrigerated.
Yield: 7 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 230
- Calories from fat: 13%
- Fat: 3.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 17.4g
- Carbohydrate: 34.5g
- Fiber: 18.3g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 604mg
- Calcium: 216mg
- 1 1/2 cups dried baby lima beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups vertically sliced red onion
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup diced smoked turkey breast (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups sliced collard greens (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
- Sort and wash beans; place in a Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil, and cook 20 minutes. Remove from heat; drain beans.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat oil in pan over medium-low heat. Add onion; sauté 10 minutes. Add beans, broth, and the next 5 ingredients (beans through bay leaf); bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 375° for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Stir in collards, vinegar, and tomatoes. Cover and bake an additional 1 hour or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes