Collard Greens Soup
- 1 (8-ounce) ham hock*
- 2 (32-ounce) containers chicken broth
- 2 bacon slices, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 (16-ounce) packages fresh collard greens, chopped
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Bring ham hock and broth to a boil in a Dutch oven; partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Cook bacon in hot oil in a medium skillet until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Sauté onion and celery in drippings 5 minutes or until tender; add bacon.
- Stir together flour and 1/2 cup water until smooth. Stir into bacon mixture. Stir bacon mixture and collard greens into broth mixture. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour or until collards are tender.
- Remove ham hock; cool slightly. Remove meat from bone, discarding bone; dice meat, and return to soup.
- Stir in whipping cream and remaining ingredients.
- *8 ounces smoked turkey winds, turkey sausage, or kielbasa may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews