Collard Green Soup
- 1 large bunch(es) Collard Greens rinsed, de-spined and coarsely chopped
- 3 large whole(s) potatoes cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 1 quart(s) chicken broth
- 1 medium onion peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin
- salt and pepper
- bacon rashers
- 1 tablespoon(s) heavy whipping cream (for each serving)
- 1 sprig(s) parsley or chives (for decoration)
- - Place collard greens, potatoes, onion and chicken broth in a large soup pot.
- - Bring to a boil , then reduce heat and simmer for approximately 1 hours. Add boiling water whenever necessary to keep contents moving somewhat freely. Once collard greens have wilted, add the parsley, cumin and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir occasionally during simmering time.
- - Once all ingredient are cooked through, puree using a hand blender until texture is smooth, and continue simmering (adding water as necessary) for another 30mins. Puree a second time if necessary to achieve desired texture.
- - 15 minutes before serving, place bacon (2 rashers per serving) in the oven and broil until crisp.
- - 3 minutes before serving whip the required amount of heavy whipping cream (1 tablespoon per serving) until light and frothy.
- -Serve soup in bowls or deep soup plates garnishing with a spoonful of whipped cream, two rashers of bacon coarsely chopped, croutons, salt and freshly-ground pepper and a sprig of parsley or chives.
- for a fully vegetarian alternative, replace the chicken broth with vegetable stock and the bacon rashers with radish slices.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by denisantoine and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note