- 12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 6 thick hickory-smoked bacon slices, chopped
- 1 medium-size red onion, halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups firmly packed chopped fresh collards
- 3 large pasteurized eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large pasteurized egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 3 cups (12 oz.) freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
How to Make It
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp; drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
Sauté onion in hot drippings 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add collards; sauté 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add bacon.
Whisk together eggs, egg yolk, next 3 ingredients, and 2 1/2 cups cheese in a large bowl. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water, and immediately pour hot pasta into egg mixture; toss to coat. (The heat from the pasta will partially cook the eggs.) Add collard mixture; toss to combine. Stir in enough pasta water to reach desired consistency. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.