Cold Weather Chili
Yield: 1 gallon
- 1/2 (16-ounce) package dried pinto beans
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 5 (16-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 3 medium-size green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- Sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Add water; let soak overnight. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Add tomatoes; cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Sauté meat, green pepper, onion, and garlic in a large skillet 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in parsley and chili powder; simmer 15 minutes.
- Add meat mixture to Dutch oven; stir in cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour. Uncover and cook over medium heat an additional 30 minutes.
- Ladle into a large serving dish or individual soup bowls; serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews