This salad is really pretty on the plate. It's also simple and delcious. It paired well with the suggested cantaloupe and white wine. I'm not a huge fan of olives, so I might cut them in half the next time I make the recipe.
Cold Chicken and Rice Salad
Perfect for a summer supper, this chilled salad features chicken and rice served over a bed of lettuce mixed with cranberries, red bell pepper and celery. Serve with fresh cantaloupe and a crisp white wine.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- Calories: 325
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 18.7g
- Carbohydrate: 41.9g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 634mg
- Calcium: 59mg
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 12 green leaf lettuce leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion tops
- 4 lemon wedges
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Heat a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes. Turn chicken over. Place pan in oven; bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until done. Remove chicken from pan, and let stand for 5 minutes. Shred chicken, and chill for 30 minutes.
- 3. Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Coat a jelly-roll pan with cooking spray. Spread rice in an even layer in pan; chill for 30 minutes.
- 4. Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, juice, and oil in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add chicken, rice, cranberries, and next 5 ingredients (through lettuce) to juice mixture in bowl, and toss gently. Divide the rice mixture evenly among 4 plates, and sprinkle with green onion tops. Serve with lemon wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note