- 3 3/4-oz package cellophane (or bean-thread) noodles
- 2 cups cubed or thinly sliced cooked chicken
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup peeled, grated cucumber
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- calories (1/4 recipe): 283
- fat 9.9 g
- satfat 2 g
- sodium 517.5 mg
- cholesterol 52.5 mg
How to Make It
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: about 5 minutes
Boil 3 cups water. Put noodles in a large bowl and pour over boiling water. Let sit about 5 minutes, stirring, until noodles feel soft. Drain and rinse under very cold running water for about 2 minutes, until noodles are cold. Drain well and place in serving bowl.
In a small bowl, mix sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, and ginger. Pour dressing over the noodles and stir well.
Arrange the chicken on top of the noodles, in the middle; put the carrots and cucumbers around the edges. Serve cold.
How kids can help: Toss noodles with dressing; arrange chicken on top and carrots and cucumbers around edges.
TIP: Garnish the grown-ups' servings with a sprinkling of chopped peanuts and finely chopped scallions.