I have tried beer-can chicken and it was not even close to being as juicy and tender as Cola-Can Chicken. This is my families favorite BBQ chicken! I always make extra rub and use it for steaks or whatever, it is an excellent rub and the Cola BBQ Sauce can not be beat! I like to serve it with grilled potatoes. Microwave the spuds until they are tender then slice 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, dip in olive oil/garlic mix and grill until brown.
- 2 tablespoons Barbecue Rub, divided
- 1 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) whole chicken
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (12-ounce) can cola
- Cola Barbecue Sauce
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon Barbecue Rub inside body cavity and 1/2 teaspoon inside neck cavity of chicken.
- Rub oil over skin. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Barbecue Rub, and rub over skin.
- Pour out half of cola (about 3/4 cup), and reserve for Cola Barbecue Sauce, leaving remaining cola in can. Make 2 additional holes in top of can. Spoon remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons rub into cola can. Cola will start to foam.
- Place chicken upright onto the cola can, fitting can into cavity. Pull legs forward to form a tripod, allowing chicken to stand upright.
- Prepare a fire by piling charcoal on one side of grill, leaving other side empty. (For gas grills, light only one side.) Place a drip pan on unlit side, and place food rack on grill. Place chicken upright over drip pan. Grill, covered with grill lid, 1 hour and 15 minutes or until golden and a meat thermometer registers 180°.
- Remove chicken from grill, and let stand 5 minutes; carefully remove can. Serve with Cola Barbecue Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cola-Can Chicken Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This