Coffee Toffee Crunch
Although it was developed as a topping and filling for our spice cake, this candy tastes great with a cup of joe too. Prep and Cook Time: about 45 minutes.
This recipe goes with Spice Cake with Coffee Toffee Crunch
More From Sunset
- Calories: 52
- Calories from fat: 50%
- Protein: 0.0g
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrate: 6.8g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 30mg
- Cholesterol: 7.8mg
- 1/2 cup butter, cut in chunks, plus more for pan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1. Butter a 12- by 17-in. rimmed baking pan. Measure out vanilla and set aside.
- 2. In a 2- to 3-qt. saucepan over medium-low heat, stir sugar, butter, 1/4 cup water, corn syrup, and espresso powder until butter is melted and you no longer see sugar crystals. Increase heat to high and boil, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 300° on a candy thermometer, 4 to 5 minutes. Quickly remove from heat and carefully stir in vanilla (mixture will bubble up). Immediately spread thinly in prepared baking pan and let cool until hard, about 20 minutes.
- 3. Flex pan to release toffee. If using for topping cake, finely chop enough to make 1 1/4 cups. Break remaining toffee into small chunks and reserve for garnish. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note