I make this every Christmas. I found that if you only lightly pat the bottom layer into the pan (don't press firmly), it will not make that hard layer. I like the different layers, would not want swirl them together.
Coffee Lovers' Coffee Cake
A buttery coffee crumb mixture makes a shortbread-like crust for this easy snack cake.
Yield: 1 (9") coffee cake
More From Oxmoor House
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, cut into pieces
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Combine flour and coffee granules in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt; stir well. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until crumbly. Press half of crumb mixture into a lightly greased 9" square pan; set aside.
- Combine sour cream and baking soda, stirring well. Add to remaining crumb mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Add egg, stirring gently to combine. Pour sour cream mixture over crumb crust in pan; sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note