Easy, quick, and absolutely delicious. With the sugar added to the brine, the drumsticks brown almost too easily under the broiler. Five minutes of prep in the morning, and you've got an amazing dinner ready to go in the evening. Do not add more salt than the recipe suggests or your chicken will be over salted. My kids request this meal frequently.
Coffee-Brined Chicken Drumsticks
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 289
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Protein: 29g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 118mg
- Sodium: 161mg
- 1 1/2 cups strongly brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 chicken drumsticks (2 1/2 lb. total)
- In a large bowl, stir together 2 cups water, coffee, salt and sugar until salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Stir in chili powder, red pepper, garlic and cinnamon. Add chicken. Top with a small plate, if needed, to keep chicken submerged. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Preheat broiler. Lift chicken from brine and place on a broiler pan. (Discard brine.) Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat source until browned, about 10 minutes. Turn chicken pieces and broil until second side is browned, 10 minutes more.
- Set oven to 350°F. Move pan to a rack in middle of oven and bake until drumsticks are no longer pink at bone (cut to test), 10 to 15 minutes longer. Serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes