- 1 baked (9-inch) pastry shell
- 1 (2 1/2-ounce) package sliced almonds, toasted and crumbled
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whipping cream, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toasted sliced almonds (optional)
- Whipped cream (optional)
How to Make It
Line bottom of pastry shell with almonds; set aside.
Combine flour, 1/4 cup whipping cream, and egg in a small mixing bowl. Stir until smooth, and set aside.
Combine remaining 3/4 cup whipping cream, coffee, sugar, and salt in top of a double boiler; place over boiling water. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thoroughly heated.
Add reserved flour mixture to hot coffee mixture, stirring constantly, until smooth. Continue cooking until mixture becomes thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Pour mixture into pastry shell. Chill thoroughly. Garnish pie with toasted sliced almonds and whipped cream, if desired.