Coconut (Un-)Fried Shrimp
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp (about 24), peeled and deveined
- calories 336
- caloriesfromfat 0.0 %
- fat 13 g
- satfat 3 g
- monofat 0.0 g
- polyfat 0.0 g
- protein 22 g
- carbohydrate 32 g
- fiber 1 g
- cholesterol 168 mg
- iron 0.0 mg
- sodium 613 mg
- calcium 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Stir together first 3 ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper in a small bowl. Set sauce aside until ready to serve.
Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper and next 2 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Whisk together egg whites and 2 tablespoons water in a shallow dish. Combine panko, coconut, and oil in a separate shallow dish.
Place shrimp in bag with flour mixture; shake to coat well. Dip shrimp in egg white mixture, and roll in coconut mixture.
Place a wire rack inside a large baking pan. Coat baking rack with cooking spray. Arrange shrimp in a single layer on rack, and bake at 375° for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve with sauce.