I made this for my mom's birthday and it was soo good! Everyone really loved it. It looked impressive and it wasn't that time consuming. Also I replaced the oil with applesauce and it was fine.
Coconut Triple-Layer Cake
Photo: Oxmoor House
We cut the fat by more than 50% in this cake. For a variation, use the Lemon Filling from the White Triple-Layer Cake between the layers.
Yield: 16 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 298
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 4.4g
- Carbohydrate: 57.3g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 195mg
- Calcium: 83mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 2/3 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon butter extract
- Fluffy Coconut Frosting
- 2/3 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Lightly spoon sifted flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine sifted flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Combine sugar, butter, and oil in a large bowl, and beat at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 5 minutes). Add egg whites, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the milk and yogurt. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in extracts.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pans. Sharply tap cake pans once on countertop to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire racks, and remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 2/3 cup Fluffy Coconut Frosting, and top with another cake layer. Spread with 2/3 cup frosting, and top with the remaining cake layer. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle top of cake with coconut. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Coconut Triple-Layer Cake Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cakes/Frostings
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American, Southern
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Rice/Grains
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Summer, Winter, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light