Coconut Spicy Chicken Curry
Creamy and spicy chicken curry goes great with naan or any type of bread.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 pound(s) chicken (your choice of the cut) cut to bite size
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 habanero diced
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger peeled and diced
- 5 clove(s) garlic diced
- 1 can(s) unsweetened coconut milk (shake can or stir)
- 1 bunch(es) Cilantro diced
- 1 can(s) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon(s) coriander
- 1 tablespoon(s) cumin
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground mustard powder
- 2 tablespoon(s) curry
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cheyenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) tumeric
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon(s) garam masala
- 4 cardamon pods (cracked open, only use the seeds)
- 4 tablespoon(s) butter
- Chop all ingredients separately and put in different bowls (i.e. onion, garlic, ginger and cilantro).
- Combine all spices and grind them together in coffee grinder (set aside in bowl)
- Chop chicken and set aside.
- Open cans of tomatoes and coconut milk.
- Turn burner on med/low heat. Add all the spices and stir until they start to smoke. Stir for about 5 minutes. Remove spices from heat and set aside.
- Put two tablespoons of butter in deep pot and cook chicken until just turns white. Take chicken out put aside.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of butter and cook onions until they turn almost translucent then add ginger and garlic. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add all the spices to the onions, garlic and ginger and stir. Add in 1 can of diced tomatoes and half a can of coconut milk. Mix well and then add the chicken and habanero pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then turn to low heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add a handful of chopped cilantro and put the lid back on and let it simmer for another 30 minutes.
- If curry has too much liquid after the last 30 minutes just turn the heat up to a medium and add some flour. Then turn back down to a simmer and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with jasmine rice and naan and a salad.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by JoshuaMyers and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note