Yield: one 3-layer cake
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Seven-Minute Frosting
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) can flaked coconut
- Garnish: pecan halves
- Beat butter at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Combine buttermilk and orange juice. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix at low speed after each addition until blended. Stir in pecans and next 3 ingredients. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9" round cakepans.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 28 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove layers from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Seven-Minute Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with coconut. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Coconut-Spice Cake Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts