This is outstanding. I made this quite some time ago as per the recipe and loved it. I had some leftover salsa so froze it and MONTHS later defrosted it when I was making some yellowtail encrusted in coconut panko. I topped the leftover salsa on top of that and it was superb! Excellent all around!!
Coconut Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa
Randy Mayor; Jan Gautro
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 7 shrimp and about 1/4 cup salsa)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 397
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated fat: 8.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 29.9g
- Carbohydrate: 45g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 194mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 753mg
- Calcium: 80mg
- 28 large shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups flaked sweetened coconut
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup pineapple preserves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare shrimp, peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Rinse shrimp in cold water; drain on paper towels until dry.
- Combine cornstarch, salt, and red pepper in a shallow dish; stir with a whisk. Place the egg whites in a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until frothy (about 2 minutes). Place coconut in a shallow dish.
- Working with one shrimp at a time, dredge in cornstarch mixture. Dip in egg white; dredge in coconut, pressing gently with fingers. Place shrimp on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat the procedure with remaining shrimp, cornstarch mixture, egg white, and coconut. Lightly coat shrimp with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until shrimp are done, turning after 10 minutes.
- To prepare salsa, combine pineapple and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl; stir to combine.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note