This was amazing, my husband loved it.
Coconut Shrimp with Fiery Mango Sauce
Photo: Romulo Yanes; Styling: Deborah Williams
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 367
- Fat: 13.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Protein: 31g
- Carbohydrate: 29.5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 252mg
- Iron: 5.6mg
- Sodium: 731mg
- Calcium: 76mg
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (12-ounce) can mango nectar
- 1/4 Scotch bonnet pepper, unseeded
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 28 jumbo shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1. To prepare sauce, heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add nectar and pepper; bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes or until reduced to 3/4 cup. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Place mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Stir in juice and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cool.
- 2. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact; discard shells.
- 3. Place coconut in a food processor; pulse 6 times or until finely chopped. Add panko; pulse to combine. Place coconut mixture in a shallow dish. Place cornstarch in a shallow dish. Place egg whites in a shallow dish. Sprinkle shrimp evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Working with 1 shrimp at a time, dredge shrimp in cornstarch, shaking off excess. Dip in egg whites; dredge in coconut mixture.
- 4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 7 shrimp to pan; coat tops of shrimp with cooking spray. Cook shrimp 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until done. Repeat procedure 3 times with remaining oil and shrimp.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note