Coconut Shrimp and Rice Pilaf
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1/2 onion, sliced vertically
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 pound peeled shrimp, with tails on
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; add mustard seeds, and sauté 1 minute or until seeds begin to pop. Add onion and next 4 ingredients, and sauté 3 minutes. Add shrimp; sauté 2 to 3 minutes or just until they begin to turn pink.
- Remove shrimp; cover and keep warm. Add rice to the pan, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in water and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Serve shrimp over rice. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
- Serve Schneider Weisse or Weihenstephan Hefeweizen, traditional German beers that have notes of clove and banana and a moderate acidity to balance the sweet coconut milk.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note