- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1/2 onion, sliced vertically
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 pound peeled shrimp, with tails on
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
How to Make It
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; add mustard seeds, and sauté 1 minute or until seeds begin to pop. Add onion and next 4 ingredients, and sauté 3 minutes. Add shrimp; sauté 2 to 3 minutes or just until they begin to turn pink.
Remove shrimp; cover and keep warm. Add rice to the pan, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in water and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Serve shrimp over rice. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
Serve Schneider Weisse or Weihenstephan Hefeweizen, traditional German beers that have notes of clove and banana and a moderate acidity to balance the sweet coconut milk.