THIS WAS EXCELLENT!! I MADE IT WITH CHICKEN AND USED UNSWEETENED COCONUT AND CHIPOLTE GROUND PEPPER INSTEAD OF THE JERK SEASONING!! AWESOME!!! SERVED IT WITH MANGO SALSA, SPINACH & QUINOA. AWESOME HEALTHY MEAL!!
These coconut shrimp are baked so you can enjoy all the flavor of the dish and still feel good about what you're eating! Not craving seafood? Make coconut chicken using this recipe and serve with honey mustard dipping sauce.
More From Southern Living
Other: 15 Minutes
- Calories: 446
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 40.5g
- Carbohydrate: 47.9g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 259mg
- Iron: 4.7mg
- Sodium: 774mg
- Calcium: 137mg
- 1 1/2 pounds unpeeled, large raw shrimp (21/25 count)
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup Japanese breadcrumbs (panko)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Honey-Mustard Sauce
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Peel shrimp, leaving tails on; devein shrimp, if desired.
- 2. Place a wire rack coated with cooking spray in a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.
- 3. Whisk egg whites in a bowl just until foamy.
- 4. Stir together cornstarch and Caribbean jerk seasoning in a shallow dish.
- 5. Stir together coconut, breadcrumbs, and paprika in another shallow dish.
- 6. Dredge shrimp, 1 at a time, in cornstarch mixture; dip in egg whites, and dredge in coconut mixture, pressing gently with fingers. Lightly coat shrimp with cooking spray; arrange shrimp on wire rack.
- 7. Bake at 425° for 10 to 12 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink, turning after 8 minutes. Serve with Honey-Mustard Sauce.
- Try this twist!
- Coconut Chicken: Substitute 1 1/2 lb. chicken breast tenders for shrimp. Proceed with recipe as directed, beginning with Step 2 and increasing bake time to 18 to 20 minutes or until chicken is done, turning once after 12 minutes. Sprinkle with salt to taste, if desired.
- Note: Nutritional analysis does not include salt to taste.
- Calories 448; Fat 11g (sat 6.6g, mono 1.9g, poly 1g); Protein 40.3g; Carb 46.4g; Fiber 1.9g; Chol 94mg; Iron 1.7mg; Sodium 604mg; Calc 65mg.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note