THIS WAS EXCELLENT!! I MADE IT WITH CHICKEN AND USED UNSWEETENED COCONUT AND CHIPOLTE GROUND PEPPER INSTEAD OF THE JERK SEASONING!! AWESOME!!! SERVED IT WITH MANGO SALSA, SPINACH & QUINOA. AWESOME HEALTHY MEAL!!
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia Pursell
More From Southern Living
Other: 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 446
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 40.5g
- Carbohydrate: 47.9g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 259mg
- Iron: 4.7mg
- Sodium: 774mg
- Calcium: 137mg
- 1 1/2 pounds unpeeled, large raw shrimp (21/25 count)
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup Japanese breadcrumbs (panko)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Honey-Mustard Sauce
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Peel shrimp, leaving tails on; devein shrimp, if desired.
- 2. Place a wire rack coated with cooking spray in a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.
- 3. Whisk egg whites in a bowl just until foamy.
- 4. Stir together cornstarch and Caribbean jerk seasoning in a shallow dish.
- 5. Stir together coconut, breadcrumbs, and paprika in another shallow dish.
- 6. Dredge shrimp, 1 at a time, in cornstarch mixture; dip in egg whites, and dredge in coconut mixture, pressing gently with fingers. Lightly coat shrimp with cooking spray; arrange shrimp on wire rack.
- 7. Bake at 425° for 10 to 12 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink, turning after 8 minutes. Serve with Honey-Mustard Sauce.
- Try this twist!
- Coconut Chicken: Substitute 1 1/2 lb. chicken breast tenders for shrimp. Proceed with recipe as directed, beginning with Step 2 and increasing bake time to 18 to 20 minutes or until chicken is done, turning once after 12 minutes. Sprinkle with salt to taste, if desired.
- Note: Nutritional analysis does not include salt to taste.
- Calories 448; Fat 11g (sat 6.6g, mono 1.9g, poly 1g); Protein 40.3g; Carb 46.4g; Fiber 1.9g; Chol 94mg; Iron 1.7mg; Sodium 604mg; Calc 65mg.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note