This recipe was A-MAZING. The only alterations I made is I used pad thai noodles instead of wide rice noodles. I used seafood instead of chicken (flounder, scallops, shrimp. and clams). And I also left the lemongrass in the soup to continue to simmer instead of removing it. This was a big mistake. The lemongrass never got soft enough to be edible and it made the stew grainy. Next time I don't believe I will chop the lemon grass so small. I will leave it a bit large so it is easy to remove after the cooking process. This tutorial is helpful for those who haven't used lemongrass in cooking before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58rSRxb_BMU . At least it was helpfpul to me. Also it was very easy to find kaffir lime leaves, galangal, and lemongrass at Korean grocery stores in Atlanta. Also I did not tear the kaffir lime leaves. I read that you should not do this! You remove them after the cooking process as well.
Coconut Red Curry Hot Pot with Braised Chicken and Mushrooms
Look for Kaffir lime leaves and galangal—also known as Thai ginger—at ethnic markets and gourmet grocers. If you can't find them, use an extra 1/4 cup chopped peeled fresh lemongrass to flavor the broth. You can use regular ginger in place of galangal.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 221
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 17.2g
- Carbohydrate: 27.3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 681mg
- Calcium: 20mg
- 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled fresh lemongrass
- 6 Kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 5 (1/4-inch) slices fresh galangal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 (4-ounce) package presliced exotic mushroom blend (such as shiitake, cremini, and oyster)
- 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce (such as Three Crabs)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup thinly diagonally cut green onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 6 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 3 ounces uncooked wide rice noodles
- 1. Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; stir in lemongrass, lime leaves, and galangal. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 30 minutes. Strain through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Return broth to pan; add curry paste, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken; cook 3 minutes or until chicken is done. Add coconut milk, stirring well to combine. Stir in fish sauce and sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; stir in onions, juice, and 1/4 cup cilantro.
- 2. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Add noodles to coconut milk mixture. Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 6 bowls; sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note