Coconut Pie Shells
Prep and Cook Time: 1 hour, plus at least 1 1/2 hours of chilling time. Notes: You'll need nine 1 1/2- by 3 1/2-in. fluted nonstick brioche molds, available at Sur La Table (www.surlatable.com), to make this recipe.
This recipe goes with Triple Coconut Cream Mini Pies
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 3 to 5 tbsp. ice water
- 1. In a food processor, pulse together flour, coconut, butter, sugar, and salt to form coarse crumbs. Add ice water 1 tbsp. at a time, pulsing after each addition, just until dough holds together when you pinch it (it will still look like crumbs).
- 2. Turn crumbs out onto counter, form into a ball, and divide into 9 equal parts, forming each into a small disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and chill at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- 3. Unwrap rounds and, working with one disk at a time, set on a lightly floured work surface. With short strokes from center outward, roll dough into a 5-in. circle (about 1/8 in. thick). Transfer dough to brioche mold, letting it fall into place (if you push or stretch the dough, it will shrink back when baked). Trim overhang flush with edge. Prick bottom lightly with a fork. Repeat with remaining rounds and molds. Chill unbaked pie shells for 1 hour before baking.
- 4. Put an oven rack on lowest rung and preheat oven to 400°. Lay a sheet of parchment paper in each pie shell and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Put shells on a cookie sheet and bake until medium golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove beans and parchment paper; return shells to oven. Bake until bottoms of crusts have golden brown patches, about 10 minutes. Let cool before filling.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note