I made 1/4 of the frosting for a single 9 inch chocolate layer cake I had in the freezer. This frosting is yummy!
If you are a fan of pecans and coconut, you are going to love this decadent and delicious frosting that takes german chocolate cake to the next level.
This recipe goes with Mama's German Chocolate Cake
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 38 Minutes
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through. Cool completely (about 20 minutes).
- 2. Meanwhile, cook evaporated milk, sugar, butter, and egg yolks in a heavy 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cook, stirring constantly, 12 to 14 minutes or until mixture becomes a light caramel color, is bubbling, and reaches a pudding-like thickness.
- 3. Remove pan from heat; stir in coconut, vanilla, and pecans. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Let stand, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes or until cooled and spreading consistency.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note