This icing is rich, buttery and very flavorful, with a beautiful golden color. It has a wonderful texture and is easy to prepare. However, I find the amount of vanilla to be WAY overpowering. I would reduce it to 1 tsp only. I did use Madagascar vanilla, which has a stronger taste, so perhaps that is the reason. I might also add some coconut extract to taste.
Chill: 45 Minutes
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (14-ounce) package sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups chopped toasted pecans
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally, about 12 minutes or until steamy, thickened, and golden. Mixture should reach at least 170°. Remove from heat, and stir in coconut and pecans. Transfer to a glass bowl. Chill, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes or until thickened before spreading on cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This