This icing is rich, buttery and very flavorful, with a beautiful golden color. It has a wonderful texture and is easy to prepare. However, I find the amount of vanilla to be WAY overpowering. I would reduce it to 1 tsp only. I did use Madagascar vanilla, which has a stronger taste, so perhaps that is the reason. I might also add some coconut extract to taste.
Chill: 45 Minutes
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (14-ounce) package sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups chopped toasted pecans
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally, about 12 minutes or until steamy, thickened, and golden. Mixture should reach at least 170°. Remove from heat, and stir in coconut and pecans. Transfer to a glass bowl. Chill, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes or until thickened before spreading on cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note