Coconut-Orange Bread Pudding
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 621
- Calories from fat: 46%
- Protein: 15g
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated fat: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 71g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Sodium: 322mg
- Cholesterol: 297mg
- 8 ounces Hawaiian or Portuguese sweet bread (a loaf or dinner rolls; see notes)
- 1 package (8 oz.) neufchâtel (light cream) cheese or cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups coconut or maple syrup
- 10 large eggs
- 1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded or flaked dried coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted, salted macadamia nuts
- 1. Tear the bread into 1/2-inch chunks. In a food processor, whirl the chunks into coarse crumbs (or finely chop with a knife); you should have about 1 quart. Pour into a buttered 3-quart shallow casserole; spread level.
- 2. In food processor, whirl cheese and 1/4 cup syrup until blended; or in a bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat until blended. Spoon evenly over bread (it doesn't need to cover bread completely).
- 3. In a bowl, whisk eggs to blend with 1/2 cup syrup, coconut milk, orange peel, orange juice, and nutmeg. Pour evenly over cheese mixture and bread. Cover casserole; chill at least 2 hours.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, in a 350° regular or 325° convection oven until center barely jiggles when casserole is gently shaken, 40 to 50 minutes. Sprinkle top evenly with coconut and nuts; continue baking until coconut is lightly browned, 7 to 9 minutes.
- 5. Heat remaining 1 cup syrup in a microwave-safe pitcher in a microwave oven at full power (100%) until warm, about 40 seconds. Serve pudding at once. Add syrup to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch