1. Tear the bread into 1/2-inch chunks. In a food processor, whirl the chunks into coarse crumbs (or finely chop with a knife); you should have about 1 quart. Pour into a buttered 3-quart shallow casserole; spread level.
2. In food processor, whirl cheese and 1/4 cup syrup until blended; or in a bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat until blended. Spoon evenly over bread (it doesn't need to cover bread completely).
3. In a bowl, whisk eggs to blend with 1/2 cup syrup, coconut milk, orange peel, orange juice, and nutmeg. Pour evenly over cheese mixture and bread. Cover casserole; chill at least 2 hours.
4. Bake, uncovered, in a 350° regular or 325° convection oven until center barely jiggles when casserole is gently shaken, 40 to 50 minutes. Sprinkle top evenly with coconut and nuts; continue baking until coconut is lightly browned, 7 to 9 minutes.
5. Heat remaining 1 cup syrup in a microwave-safe pitcher in a microwave oven at full power (100%) until warm, about 40 seconds. Serve pudding at once. Add syrup to taste.