This recipe was easy and the grand-kids were facinated. The adults lliked it too. I panned out 2 of the cookies before adding the coconut for the 8-month old and she loved them. I made them 2 days before Easter and stored in a cookie tin as they tie up the oven for a long time.
Coconut Nest Cookies
Brown Cannon III
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 59
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Protein: 0.9g
- Fat: 1.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrate: 10g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 54mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark rum or vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded dried coconut
- Egg-shaped candies or jelly beans
- 1. Cut two pieces of cooking parchment to fit two 10- by 15-inch baking sheets. With a pencil, draw 10 evenly spaced 2-inch circles on each piece of parchment. Place each, marked side down, on a baking sheet.
- 2. In a large bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer, with a hand-held mixer or the standing mixer's whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until foamy. Add salt and beat until stiff peaks form, 2 to 4 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating mixture until sugar has dissolved completely (rub a little between your fingers to check; if it feels gritty, sugar is not dissolved) and mixture is glossy, thick, and very billowy, 2 to 5 minutes. Beat in rum, then gently fold in coconut.
- 3. Mound mixture in 3- to 4-tablespoon portions in marked circles. Using a spoon, make a shallow depression in the center of each so it resembles a nest.
- 4. Bake cookies in a 250° regular oven (convection not recommended) until light golden, about 1 hour, switching pan positions halfway through baking. Turn oven off, leaving cookies inside, and let stand until dry and firm to the touch, about 2 hours longer. Remove from oven and let cool completely on sheets, then peel off parchment.
- 5. Set candies or jelly beans in each nest.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per unfilled cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts