Yield: 32 macaroons
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cups dry unsweetened grated coconut
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Garnish: chocolate curls
- Combine egg whites and sugar in top of double boiler; cook, stirring constantly, over hot (not boiling) water, until sugar dissolves and egg whites are warm. Pour egg mixture into a large bowl; whip until stiff.
- Put coconut in a separate large bowl. Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise; scrape seeds, and add to coconut, stirring until blended. Stir in lemon rind and sour cream.
- Fold egg white mixture into coconut mixture. Shape mixture into small mounds (1 1/2 inches in diameter) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until macaroons just begin to brown. Cool completely on wire racks. Place macaroons on a serving plate. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: Use a small ice-cream scoop to make evenly shaped cookies.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts