I melted the chocolate in the microwave without chopping the squares. Just checked every 30 seconds or so. If you eat these right out of the refrigerator, they are hard as a rock. Took them out when we started dinner and they had softened by the time we were ready to eat them. I love coconut and husband loves chocolate so this is a good combination. A definite repeat.
More From Sunset
Prep And Cook:
Chill: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 117
- Calories from fat: 53%
- Protein: 1.1g
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 43mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup (about 2 oz.) finely crushed graham crackers
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- 1. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Melt chocolate (see âÂ€ÂœMelting Chocolate: Be Gentle,âÂ€Â? below). With a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon, stir in graham crackers and 1 cup coconut.
- 2. Mound heaping tablespoon of mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining coconut equally over tops of haystacks. Chill until haystacks are firm, about 1 1/4 hours. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Melting chocolate: Be gentle. Fill a saucepan with 2 to 3 in. of water. Put finely chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl that will fit over pan (the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water); set bowl aside. Bring water to a boil, turn off heat, then set bowl over pan. Use a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon to stir the chocolate frequently and encourage even melting. Once the chocolate is melted, stir well and use immediately.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per haystack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note