We made this tonight and it needs a few adjustments. It was considerably underspiced. We added a serrano pepper and a bit more curry powder (probably 1 tbsp), and if I made it again I would add more coconut milk (maybe 1/3-1/2 total) and more curry powder still. Like the other commentator it took us a little longer to cook probably around 20 minutes and the set up is tricky...you will need a big wok for it to work right. Ours kept tipping over. That said, the dish was still delicious! great for a regular dinner and with these adjustments maybe even a fancy one too!
Coconut-Curry Shrimp over Rice
Shrimp needs just a short marinating time to absorb the flavors of the aromatic sauce, making this tasty entrée quick enough for a busy weeknight. Steaming cooks the shrimp gently, so there's less chance of overcooking. Regular coconut milk offers the best flavor for this dish; the taste of light coconut milk is too subtle.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 375
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 6.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 38.6g
- Carbohydrate: 38.3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 259mg
- Iron: 6.3mg
- Sodium: 777mg
- Calcium: 111mg
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups hot cooked basmati rice
- 4 lemon wedges
- Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add shrimp; seal and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes, turning the bag occasionally. Place the shrimp mixture in a 10-inch pie plate.
- Open a small metal vegetable steamer; place steamer upside down in a large, deep wok. Add water; bring to a simmer. Wearing oven mitts, carefully place pie plate on top of inverted steamer. Cover and cook 4 minutes or until shrimp are done. Wearing oven mitts, carefully remove pie plate from wok. Serve shrimp mixture over rice; serve with lemon wedges. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note