I followed the recipe exactly. They required 30 minutes to be cooked enough, but they turned out looking exactly like the picture. There is adequate coconut flavor. The taste is very heavy - they were light enough in texture but a ton of butter in each bite. The frosting was also very buttery and didn't add anything to flavor or make a nice presentation. Overall, the result was vaguely pleasant, but too heavy, and mostly really boring. I ended up adding some raspberry jam on top to cut some of the heaviness.
Coconut cakes are always showstoppers at family gatherings. Package all that delicious dessert flavor into a pint-sized liner for a single-serving treat that's a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Instead of paper liners, use the shiny kind instead to dress the cupcakes up.
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 25 Minutes
- Calories: 359
- Calories from fat: 58%
- Protein: 3.1g
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated fat: 15g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sodium: 282mg
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- 2 3/4 cups butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons each vanilla and almond extracts
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon each baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut, plain or toasted
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream together 2 cups butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in 1 1/2 teaspoons each vanilla and almond extracts.
- 2. In another large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to butter and sugar mixture in 3 batches, alternating with coconut milk. Stir 1 cup flaked coconut into the batter.
- 3. Fill 30 paper-lined muffin cups (1/2-cup capacity) in two or more muffin pans about 2/3 full with batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing muffins from pans. Cool completely.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, 3/4 cup butter, and 1/2 teaspoon each vanilla and almond extract until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with remaining coconut.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cupcake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts