Coconut-Crusted Soft-Shell Crab with Mango Chutney
Photography: Randy Mayor; Styling: Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
The crabs are sautéed first to crisp them, then broiled to brown the coconut topping. Serve over jasmine rice.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 crabs and 1/4 cup mango chutney)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 382
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 12.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Protein: 29.5g
- Carbohydrate: 42.6g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 5.3mg
- Sodium: 201mg
- Calcium: 54mg
- 2 cups chopped peeled mango
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 8 (3-ounce) soft-shell crabs, cleaned
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until thick. Set mango chutney aside.
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place 4 crabs in pan, top sides down; cook 2 minutes per side, gently pressing body and legs against pan. Place sautéed crabs, top sides up, on a baking sheet. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and crabs.
- Combine coconut, mustard seeds, salt, and egg white; divide evenly among top shells of crabs. Press coconut mixture on top shells of crabs, leaving a 1/8-inch margin around outside edge of shells. Lightly spray crabs with cooking spray. Place baking sheet 8 inches away from broiler; broil 5 minutes or until coconut mixture is browned and crisp.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes