We tried this the first time as the recipe was written and enjoyed it enough to make it again with a few tweaks. I wanted to use this as an appetizer so I used breast tenderloins and then cut them into bite sized pieces. I had to increase the cornstarch/pepper mixture a bit as well as using 2 egg whites and a bit more panko/coconut because of the increased surface area. I also cut out the oven time as such small pieces cooked quickly. Even though I enjoyed the sauce I thought it was a bit too lumpy-particularly the cashews, as they just seemed soggy. I made the sauce per the recipe but then used my hand blender to make a nice creamy sauce - almost humus like. It was a great hit at the bunko party last night.
Coconut-Crusted Chicken with Cashew-Curry Sauce
Besides their abundant monounsaturated fat, cashews also contribute a pleasing crunch to the sauce. The chicken and curry sauce gain a flavor and texture lift with flaked coconut and light coconut milk.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 376
- Fat: 15.4g
- Saturated fat: 5.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 43.8g
- Carbohydrate: 15.4g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 772mg
- Calcium: 34mg
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped dry-roasted cashews
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 4 lime wedges (optional)
- 4 cilantro sprigs (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. To prepare chicken, sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch and red pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag. Combine panko and flaked coconut in a shallow dish. Place egg white in another shallow dish. Add chicken to bag; seal and shake well to coat evenly. Remove from bag; discard remaining cornstarch mixture. Dip 1 chicken breast half in egg white; dredge in panko mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining 3 chicken breast halves, egg white, and panko mixture.
- 3. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Place skillet in oven. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until done.
- 4. To prepare sauce, combine coconut milk, sugar, curry paste, and 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch in a small bowl. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, ginger, and garlic to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add coconut milk mixture; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or just until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in cashews, juice, and fish sauce. Garnish each serving with 1 lime wedge and 1 cilantro sprig.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note