Coconut Crème Caramel
More From Food & Wine
Total: 1 Hour, 45 Minutes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 10 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a saucepan, cook the granulated sugar with the water over moderate heat, brushing down the sides of the pan with a wet brush, until a rich amber caramel forms, about 15 minutes. Quickly pour the caramel into a 9-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish to coat the bottom.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks and brown sugar until very thick, 2 minutes. Beat in the cream, coconut milk, vanilla and salt and pour into the baking dish. Set the dish in a roasting pan. Pour hot water in the pan to come halfway up the dish's side. Bake for 1 hour, until the custard is just set but still jiggly in the center. Refrigerate in the dish overnight.
- Run a knife around the edge of the custard. Set the dish in a pan of hot water for 10 seconds. Invert a flat platter over the dish then turn the custard and caramel onto the platter. Top with the toasted coconut and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note