Mile-High Coconut Cream Meringue Pie
White waves of mile-high meringue top a delicious coconut cream in this perfect pie.
Yield: Serves 8
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 9-inch pie crust, baked and cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkle coconut in crust; set aside. Stir together sugar and cornstarch.
- Place egg yolks in a medium heavy saucepan; whisk in sugar mixture and milk alternately until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until boiling and thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla; pour over coconut in crust.
- For Meringue: In a deep bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Reduce mixer to low speed; add cream of tartar.
- Gradually beat in sugar, one tablespoon at a time; beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. Beat in vanilla. Spoon Meringue over hot filling, sealing carefully to edge of crust.
- Bake at 325 degrees until meringue is lightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Mile-High Coconut Cream Meringue Pie Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes
- PUBLICATION: Gooseberry Patch
More Recipes for Main Dishes