Coconut Cookies with Lemon Curd and Raspberries
Ngoc Minh Ngo
Prepare the cookies and the lemon curd up to 2 days ahead of time, then assemble them at the picnic. Prep and Cook Time: about 35 minutes, plus about 1 hour for chilling.
Yield: Makes 24 cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 152
- Calories from fat: 40%
- Protein: 2.1g
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Sodium: 149mg
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- 3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Lemon curd (recipe follows)
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Spread the coconut evenly on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- 2. Raise oven heat to 350°. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, coconut, and milk until well blended, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- 3. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat into butter mixture until well blended. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
- 4. Unwrap dough and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough out to a 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with a 3- or 4-inch flower-shaped or round cookie cutter and place cookies slightly apart on buttered or parchment-lined baking sheets.
- 5. Bake cookies until edges are golden, 10 to 14 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
- 6. Top each cookie with a dollop of lemon curd and several raspberries.
- Lemon curd. In a heatproof bowl, whisk together 3 eggs, 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, and 3/4 cup sugar until well blended. Set over a pan of gently simmering water and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to thicken noticeably, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat immediately and stir in 3 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture is smooth and glossy. Cover bowl with a sheet of plastic wrap pressed against the curd's surface and refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note