Coconut Chiffon Cupcakes With Marshmallow Frosting
Prep: 35 minutes; Cook: 20 minutes; Cool: 20 minutes.
Yield: Makes 24 cupcakes (serving size: 1 cupcake)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 191
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 160mg
- Calcium: 28mg
- 1 1/3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Line 2 (12-cup) cupcake pans with paper liners.
- 2. For cupcakes, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- 3. In another bowl, beat egg yolks and 1 cup sugar with an electric mixer on high for 2 minutes. (It will be pale yellow and ribbonlike.) Add water and next 3 ingredients (through sweetened coconut); whisk to combine. Whisk in flour mixture. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 4. Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl. Beat with a hand mixer or stand mixer at medium speed until foamy, using clean, dry beaters. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Increase speed to high, and continue beating about 2 minutes or until stiff peaks form. With a rubber spatula, fold in about 1/3 of the whipped whites into reserved batter. Gently fold in the remaining whites.
- 5. Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 full with the batter. Bake for 20–25 minutes (rotating pans halfway through baking time) or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Transfer the pans to a wire rack, and let cool for 20 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan, and cool completely.
- 6. For frosting, combine first 4 ingredients (through vanilla extract) in the bowl of a stand mixer, and stir until combined. Set bowl over a saucepan filled with simmering water, and stir constantly until the sugar is dissolved and reaches 160° on an instant-read thermometer.
- 7. Transfer bowl to a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment; beat on high 8–10 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- 8. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a medium tip with the frosting. (You can also use a zip-top plastic bag, and make a small snip in one of the bottom corners.) Pipe out a dollop of frosting on each cupcake, and sprinkle with coconut. Serve and eat immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This