Coconut Cake with Raspberry Filling from Cooking Light
Community Recipe from
- 2 pint(s) fresh raspberries (12 oz.)
- 1/3 cup(s) sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) water
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 3 tablespoon(s) Chambord
- Baking Spray with Flour
- 8 ounce(s) cake flour (abt. 2 cups)
- 2 ounce(s) coconut flour or cake flour (abt. 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 1/2 cup(s) sugar divided
- 1/3 cup(s) canola oil
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter softened
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 cup(s) coconut water (such as Goya)
- 6 large egg whites
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 3 tablespoon(s) water
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened coconut flakes toasted
- 1. To prepare filling, combine raspberries, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons water, & 1/8 teaspoon salt in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until berries break down. Combine cornstarch & liqueur; stir with a whisk; return to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until very thick, stirring constantly. Spoon mixture into a bowl; cover and refrigerate until needed.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3. To prepare cake, coat 3 (8-inch) round metal cake pans with baking spray, and line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Coat wax paper with baking spray; set prepared pans aside.
- 4. Weigh or lightly spoon flours, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Place 1 1/4 cups sugar, oil, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed for 5 minutes, or until fluffy. Add coconut water, beat at low speed 1 minute, or until combined. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed 1 minutes or until well combined.
- 5. Place 6 egg whites in a large, clean bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until peaks form, using clean, dry beaters. Add 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; beat 1 minute. Stir 1/4 of egg white mixture into batter; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture. Divide batter evenly among prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 19 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- 6. To prepare frosting, place 3 egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until medium peaks form, using clean, dry beaters. Combine 1//2 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons water, & 1/8 teaspoon salt in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 250 degrees. With mixer on low speed, pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream down the side of the mixing bowl. Gradually increase speed to high; beat 3 minutes or until thick and cool.
- 7. To assemble cake, place 1 cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of filling (about 1 cup), leaving a 1/2" border. Top with another cake layer, and spread with remaining filling, leaving a 1/2" border. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Gently press cocnut flakes into sides of cake.
- CALORIES: 292 FAT: 8.4g (sat.3g, mono.3.4g, poly.1.5g) PROTEIN: 4.1g
- CARB: 49.9g FIBER: 3.6g CHOL: 4mg IRON: 1.4mg SODIUM: 209mg
- CALC: 4.3mg
This recipe is a personal recipe added by marybillingsley and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Coconut Cake with Raspberry Filling from Cooking Light Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts