Coconut Birthday Cake
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 cups cake flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- Lemon Filling
- Fluffy Frosting
- Freshly grated coconut
- Cream shortening and butter; gradually add sugar, beating mixture well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans; bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove layers from pans, and let cool completely. Spread Lemon Filling between layers; frost top and sides with Fluffy Frosting, and sprinkle with coconut.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note