I was nervous so I also made mussels with a traditional white wine broth, but this coconut milk recipe was far superior in flavor! I wished I had skipped the broth. I will definitely make this again! and the coconut milk adds a healthy fat!
Coconut and Basil Steamed Mussels
Photo: Randy Mayor; Stylist: Leigh Ann Ross
Impress guests with this elegant and easy main dish. Pair with spinach and scallion rice for a complete meal in about 20 minutes.
Yield: 2 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 308
- Fat: 15.1g
- Saturated fat: 6.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 25.5g
- Carbohydrate: 19.4g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Iron: 8.8mg
- Sodium: 996mg
- Calcium: 75mg
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
- 24 mussels (about 1 pound), scrubbed and debearded
- Thinly sliced basil (optional)
- 1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add shallots and garlic to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in coconut milk and next 7 ingredients (through Sriracha); bring to a boil. Add mussels to pan; cover and cook 5 minutes or until shells open. Discard any unopened shells.
- 2. Remove mussels from pan with a slotted spoon, reserving broth mixture. Divide mussels between 2 serving bowls; keep warm. Bring broth mixture to a boil; cook 5 minutes. Pour 1 cup sauce over each bowl. Sprinkle with sliced basil, if desired.
- Scallion rice: Combine 1 cup water, 1/2 cup jasmine rice, 1 teaspoon butter, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1 thinly sliced green onion in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes; remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes