Cocoa-Cinnamon Bat Cookies
Photo: Jonny Valiant; Styling: Jan Gautro
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Royal Icing or prepared frosting
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg, beating until blended.
- 2. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl; gradually add to butter mixture, beating just until blended. Shape dough into a disk. Cover and chill 10 minutes.
- 3. Place dough on a lightly floured surface, and roll to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with an 8-inch bat-shaped cookie cutter. Place cookies 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- 4. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let cool on baking sheets 5 minutes; transfer to wire racks, and let cool completely. Pipe Royal Icing or prepared frosting onto cookies to outline; pipe two dots for eyes.
- Note: To completely ice bat cookies, first pipe icing or frosting to outline. Add water to remaining icing, 1 teaspoon at a time, until mixture is the consistency of white glue. Pipe into center of cookies to fill in body. Let stand, uncovered, until completely dry.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note