I made this tonight for dessert and holy smokes! We did not use nuts because we don't like them. Be forewarned that this is an UGLY cake. The marshmallows leave a weird look on the top and I suspect that is why they used chopped nuts for the picture. But do not be turned off by the look. I think this is the BEST cake I have ever made. Great recipe! On the matter of baking time: this cake definitely needed at least 40 minutes--it'd probably be fine with 42-45 minutes. Another review stated the same thing so be on watch from 35 to 45 min.
- 1 cup Coca-Cola
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Coca-Cola Frosting
- Garnish: 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Combine Coca-Cola and buttermilk; set aside.
- Beat butter at low speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar; beat until blended. Add egg and vanilla; beat at low speed until blended.
- Combine flour, cocoa, and soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with cola mixture; begin and end with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended.
- Stir in marshmallows. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13- x 9-inch pan. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes. Pour Coca-Cola Frosting over warm cake; garnish, if desired.
- Note: Don't make the frosting ahead--you need to pour it over the cake shortly after baking.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note