More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 458
- Calories from fat: 71%
- Protein: 25g
- Fat: 36g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sodium: 768mg
- Cholesterol: 129mg
- 1 pound sliced bacon (see notes), coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup tarragon-flavor vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- About 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- About 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart lightly packed watercress sprigs (4 oz.), rinsed and crisped
- 5 quarts finely shredded lettuce (use half butter lettuce and half iceberg or all iceberg)
- 2 firm-ripe tomatoes (2/3 lb. total), rinsed, cored, and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced skinned cooked chicken (7 oz.; see notes)
- 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese (3 oz.; see notes)
- 2 hard-cooked large eggs, shelled and chopped
- 1 firm-ripe avocado (1/2 lb.), halved, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, stir bacon often until browned and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes; spoon out and discard fat in pan as it accumulates. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to towels to drain; discard remaining fat in pan.
- 2. In a 1-cup glass measure or small bowl, mix olive oil, vinegar, mustard, shallot, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 3. Set aside 4 to 6 watercress sprigs; coarsely chop remaining sprigs. In a large bowl, combine chopped watercress and lettuce. Add all but 2 tablespoons dressing and mix gently to coat.
- 4. Arrange equal portions of lettuce mixture in wide, shallow bowls. On each, in pie-shaped wedges, arrange equal portions of bacon, tomatoes, chicken, blue cheese, eggs, and avocado.
- 5. Spoon remaining dressing evenly over toppings. Garnish salads with reserved watercress sprigs. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes