Made these for company and everyone enjoyed them. I used my stand-up mixture to knead and cold-rise method in order to save time. I was pleased with the flavor and will make again.
Cloverleaf Honey-Wheat Rolls
Photo: Karry Hosford
Bake these rolls up to a day ahead; store at room temperature in a zip-top plastic bag, or freeze them for later. Wrap the rolls in foil and reheat at 350º for 10 minutes or until warm.
Yield: 1 dozen (serving size: 1 roll)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 152
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 5.1g
- Carbohydrate: 27.3g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 24mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 206mg
- Calcium: 4mg
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 2 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 1 1/2 cups bread flour, whole wheat flour, honey, butter, and salt to yeast mixture; stir until well blended. Add 1/4 cup bread flour; stir until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining bread flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray. Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Working with 1 portion at a time, divide each portion into 3 pieces; shape each piece into a ball (cover remaining dough to prevent it from drying). Place 3 balls in each muffin cup. Cover and let rise 25 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Uncover dough. Combine 1 tablespoon water and egg; brush over rolls. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cloverleaf Honey-Wheat Rolls Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breads
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Freezable, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Rice/Grains
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Christmas, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light