Clinched and Planked Shrimp
The cedar plank lends the shrimp smoky flavor and amazing deep golden color. It makes a genuinely impressive dish for company.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 2 Hours, 48 Minutes
- Calories: 151
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 15.6g
- Carbohydrate: 2.4g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 144mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 539mg
- Calcium: 67mg
- Basic Brine
- 2 pounds large shrimp, unpeeled
- 2 (15 x 6 1/2 x 3/8-inch) cedar grilling planks
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup (1/2-inch) pieces chives
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1. Prepare Basic Brine, increasing water to 8 cups, thyme and sugar to 2 tablespoons each, and halved lemons to 2.
- 2. Split shrimp shells down the back, and devein shrimp, leaving shells intact. Place shrimp in a large bowl; add brine. Cover bowl; refrigerate 1 hour.
- 3. Immerse and soak the cedar planks in water for 1 hour; drain.
- 4. Preheat a charcoal fire to high heat. Let burn 30 minutes or until flames subside and coals are glowing. Spread coals to an even 4-inch thickness; fan excess ash from coals with a piece of cardboard.
- 5. Drain shrimp; discard brine. Pat shrimp dry with paper towels. Combine oil and next 8 ingredients (through red pepper) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add shrimp; toss to coat. Arrange shrimp in 2 tight rows on each plank, with shrimp curled against each other.
- 6. Place plank on the coal bed with some coals on the exposed corners of the plank. Cover with grill lid; grill 6 minutes or until shrimp are done. Place shrimp on a platter; top with chives and juice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note