More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 253
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 212mg
- Cholesterol: 29mg
- 1 pound thin-skinned potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 3/4 to 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 cup half-and-half (light cream)
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper
- 1. Rinse and peel potatoes; cut into 1/2-inch chunks.
- 2. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over high heat, combine potatoes, onion, 2 3/4 cups broth, and sherry. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the potatoes mash easily, about 20 minutes.
- 3. In a blender or food processor, whirl potato mixture until smooth. Return to pan and add half-and-half. Quick-chill soup (nest soup-filled pan in ice water and stir often until soup is cool, 15 to 20 minutes), or cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour or up to 1 day. Stir in more broth if a thinner consistency is desired.
- 4. Meanwhile, in an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over high heat, stir bacon frequently until crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to towels to drain. Discard pan drippings.
- 5. Ladle soup into wide bowls. Sprinkle equally with bacon and chives. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note