More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 253
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 212mg
- Cholesterol: 29mg
- 1 pound thin-skinned potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 3/4 to 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 cup half-and-half (light cream)
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper
- 1. Rinse and peel potatoes; cut into 1/2-inch chunks.
- 2. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over high heat, combine potatoes, onion, 2 3/4 cups broth, and sherry. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the potatoes mash easily, about 20 minutes.
- 3. In a blender or food processor, whirl potato mixture until smooth. Return to pan and add half-and-half. Quick-chill soup (nest soup-filled pan in ice water and stir often until soup is cool, 15 to 20 minutes), or cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour or up to 1 day. Stir in more broth if a thinner consistency is desired.
- 4. Meanwhile, in an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over high heat, stir bacon frequently until crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to towels to drain. Discard pan drippings.
- 5. Ladle soup into wide bowls. Sprinkle equally with bacon and chives. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews