I like my sweet potatoes straight with a little butter, salt and pepper but was asked to bring sweet potato casserole to Thanksgiving dinner so I gave this recipe a try. It was a hit although I would suggest cutting the granulated sugar by half so you might actually taste the sweet potato goodness!
Classic Sweet Potato Casserole
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Missie Neville Crawford
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 40 Minutes
- 4 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups cornflakes cereal, crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake sweet potatoes at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Let stand until cool to touch (about 20 minutes); peel and mash sweet potatoes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- 2. Beat mashed sweet potatoes, granulated sugar, and next 5 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Spoon potato mixture into a greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
- 3. Combine cornflakes cereal and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle over casserole in diagonal rows 2 inches apart.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle marshmallows in alternate rows between cornflake mixture; bake 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles
Southern Living BBQ on Tour