This is a simple roll out recipe. Very near my grandmothers for taste. I did brush with egg whites before decorating so the decorative sprinkles would stick. I did not use the "glaze". Very important to chill before rolling and do not over work the dough.
Classic Sugar Cookies
More From Oxmoor House
Bake: 10 Minutes
Other: 1 Hour
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (3.25-oz.) jar coarse sparkling sugar
- 1. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating well. Add egg and vanilla, beating well. Combine flour and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Divide dough in half. Cover; chill 1 hour.
- 2. Roll each portion of dough to 1⁄4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut with desired cookie cutters. (We used flower and starfish cutters.) Place on lightly greased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies are lightly browned. Cool cookies 1 minute on baking sheets, and remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. Dip cookies in Glaze and sprinkle, while wet, with sparkling sugar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cookies